Last month, Luke and Ben got me a spa gift certificate for my birthday. I scheduled a hot stone massage and reflexology.
I love massages. When I trained for my marathon a million years ago, I had massages every 4-6 days to help with a knee injury. When I was pregnant with Luke, I got massages for back pain. For me, a good rub down can fix anything.
I have been generally stressed and, additionally, my back has been sore from nursing while sitting on the floor. Nursing on the floor is a wonderful concept – it lets me interact with Luke while Ben drains his umpteenth meal for the day. In actuality, it is a pain in the ass.
Massage Day rolled around. The day transpired as follows:
- 11:00am Write out nice instructions for Zach, in preparation of leaving.
- 12:30pm Read instructions to Zach. Prepare bottle for Ben.
- 12:45pm Nurse Ben. Luke runs around the house.
- 12:55pm Zach gets phone call.
- 12:57pm I hiss at Zach to get off phone and put both boys down for naps.
- 12:58pm Zach smiles, gives me the high-five sign, and doesn’t get off phone.
- 12:59pm Annoyed, I hand over the boys to Zach.
- 1:00pm Rush off to spa, fuming that naps will be delayed.
- 1:15-3:15 Attempt to unwind. Get massage. Fall asleep.
- 3:15pm Finish massage. Spend precious time making a cup of Earl Grey. Hot.
- 3:30pm Drive home.
- 3:40pm Phone call from Zach. Baby refusing bottle. When will you be home?
- 3:45pm Arrive home. Luke claims my tea. No Luke. Mommy’s tea.
- 3:46pm Snatch baby from Zach & shove in boob.
- 3:47pm Ben nurses furiously, gulping down milk and air in his haste. Gets mad.
- 3:50pm Zach drinks the rest of my tea.
- 3:55pm Tailbone starts to hurt from sitting on the floor nursing.
- 4:00pm Company arrives.
- 4:01pm In dire need of another massage.